I’m sure you’ve done the exercise before where you look around the room, in search of everything that’s red. You haven’t noticed, but there are lots of red things around you right now. You don’t notice until you look.
When we get clear on what we’re looking for we find it easily.
Leaders change the world around them by focusing on 4 things, over and over again:
- They clarify a positive idea about the future.
- They decide exactly how we can get there.
- They personally commit to building up the habits and skills required to make that future a reality.
- And they take immediate, massive action to move forward.
They do this over and over again until they achieve their vision.
So ask yourself:
- What do I want?
- What is the best path to get there?
- What needs to be true about me, if I am going to make this vision a reality?
- What can I do right now, to move toward my vision?
If you aren’t looking for the answers to those questions you won’t find them. But if you look you’ll see the answers are all around you and inside of you just waiting for you to notice.
The world is full of distractions and people trying to direct our attention toward things we don’t care about. Television. Advertisements. Fashion. Sports. People trying to stress us out about things that aren’t important. Leaders is about pushing back, making time for your own priorities.