Motivated people find a way. They don’t need everything to be perfect before they can work. They just do it. They push through with what’s available.
Motivated people can handle discomfort for the moment, because they know that what’s coming is worth it.
Is there a way to become motivated if you aren’t motivated already? Yes.
If you’d like to do this, we’re going to go positive and then go negative. We’re going to heighten your positive and negative emotions around one of your goals.
I want to warn you that this exercise can be quite powerful. It takes about 10 minutes and it will definitely increase your motivation. Maybe dramatically.
Here we go.
Write down the answers to these questions or say the answers out loud to really lock in the experience. It’s not enough to simply read the questions. The power comes from you really thinking through your answers in a personal way. Take at least a full minute for each question.
- What is a very specific goal you care about achieving?
- What will it mean to you to achieve your goal?
- What else will be great about achieving your target?
- How will that make you feel?
- What will other people think about you when you achieve your goal?
- What else will be possible for you and for the people you care about when you reach your target?
- In what ways would your life be worse if you didn’t achieve your goal?
- What is the worst thing that could happen if you didn’t reach your target?
- How would that make you feel?
- What else could go wrong if you didn’t achieve your goal?
- How would that affect you and the people around you?